Friday, January 30, 2009

Is she Chinese?


It seems everytime I go someplace, someone will ask if Emma is Chinese. I am not the kind of person who has adopted from China only to have bitterness about people's curiosity. It does not bother me. I actually am proud of who she is, where she came from and why she is now my daughter. I never hesitate for a moment to say she is a gift from God b/c God had his hand completely in the mix when He gave us Emma. She could not be a better fit. But, she is so much more than what the eye can see. So for my daughter, I have taken pen in hand to complete a listing of what I would say to the next person who asks if she is Chinese. Of course, not being some whacked out crazy person, I would not ramble on like I did in my journal. It was just one of those inspirational creative flowing moments that happened to address an almost daily subject matter. Here's what I wrote: When we go places together, people sometimes ask, “Is she Chinese?” I answer, “Yes.” But what I need to say is , She’s also very artistic and loves to draw and color for hours on end. I happen to be an artist myself, so go figure. Her nose runs due to allergies from fall to spring much like mine. She talks non-stop always asking what I’m doing, where Shelby is, or if her Daddy is at work. She’s affectionate, always wanting a kiss-hug and telling me she loves me. I wuff you Mommy, words that melt my heart. She is not quite sure she likes characters and will shrink behind my legs when she’s scared. She loves TV, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Princess Barbie movies, and Cinderella and will drift off into her own little world when watching it. She doesn’t really like to eat meals but loves snacks. She loves hot tea and will play pretend in her kitchen just to serve me some. When you do something she likes or give her a compliment, she replies with a very articulate, yes. Though there have been times when she becomes bashful and does not like any attention drawn to herself. Barbie has become her favorite toy and she loves to carry purses, dolls, books or anything she fancies when we go bye-bye. She loves to wear Mommy's scarf and walk around the house in my shoes. She is a fashion clothes princess and says thank you with a hug anytime I buy her something new. Her favorite shoes are her black patten leather tap-tap shoes, as she has named them herself. So, yes, she’s Chinese. But she’s also so much more than what your eye can see. She’s my daughter who may not resemble me, but oddly enough, is so much like me!

2 comments:

Mary Kay Staver said...

That was beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

I see Emma, Shelby and whole families' happiness from the site. Two girls are cute. Emma is so lucky to have your couple as parents. The pictures and layout are nice and articles are beautiful.

Ying Zhang